Veal Rack with Roasted Vegetables and Thyme Glaze
Author: A Taste of Excellence, Rudi Sodamin
Recipe type: Main
- 1 (7-bone) rack of veal (about 5 pounds), frenched
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, plus 1 cup chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlicThe ‘heat’ in garlic is said to stir sexual desires. Make sure you and your partner share it together. Garlic has been used for centuries to cure everything from the common cold to heart ailments. This is a good time for moderation. Enjoy a pasta with a lightly garlicky sauce and it and lead up to something spicy in the bedroom later.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large shallots (about
- ⅔ cup), chopped
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 4 cups veal stock reduced by
- half with ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- Roasted vegetables, optional
- - for the Veal
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Pat veal dry thoroughly with paper towers (veal is a very moist meat and you want it to brown rather than steam).
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, Parsley, garlicThe ‘heat’ in garlic is said to stir sexual desires. Make sure you and your partner share it together. Garlic has been used for centuries to cure everything from the common cold to heart ailments. This is a good time for moderation. Enjoy a pasta with a lightly garlicky sauce and it and lead up to something spicy in the bedroom later., and olive oil.
- Rub veal thoroughly with this mixture, pressing herbs to adhere, and place it in a roasting pan.
- Transfer to oven and roast for about 20 minutes, or until well browned.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- Roast veal for 20 to 40 minutes more.
- Inserting an instant-read thermometer in the thickest part of the meat to determine the doneness you prefer (126°F for medium rare. 134°F for medium, or 150°F for medium-well).
- Remove pan from oven.
- Transfer veal to a warm
- platter, and allow to rest for 10 minutes, tented with foil.
- - for the Sauce
- Tilt roasting pan and spoon off and discard any fat, leaving drippings behind.
- Place pan over medium heat and add wine, stirring to dissolve any solids stuck in the bottom of the pan.
- Scrape contents of pan into a large glass measuring cup or a medium saucepan; reserve.
- Heat butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots and cook, stirring, until starting to turn brown, add 1 cup chopped thyme and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add reserved pan drippings and vinegar, reduce liquid by half.
- Add veal stock reduction and bay leaf.
- Simmer until sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Pour any collected juices from veal roast into sauce in skillet;
- heat through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and strain into a saucepan; keep warm.
- To Serve
- Cut veal into chops and divide among warmed plates.
- Spoon sauce over and around chops and serve immediately with roasted vegetables, if desired.
(Visited 22 times, 1 visits today)