Posts Tagged ‘slow cooker’
This version of goulash, a luscious Hungarian stew seasoned with paprika, is lighter than the traditional version made with beef. It is usually served over hot noodles, but fluffy mashed potatoes also make a lavish finish. The red bell peppers not only enhance the flavor, but also add valuable nutrients to the dish.
Author: http://www.cookstr.com - Judith Finlayson
Recipe type: Main
- 2 tablespoons (25 ml) olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs (1 kg) trimmed stewing veal, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) caraway seeds (see Tips)
- ½ teaspoon (2 ml) cracked black peppercorns
- 1 lb (500 g) mushrooms (see Tips)
- 2 tablespoons (25 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 oz/398 ml) diced tomatoes, including juice (see Tips)
- 1 cup (250 ml) lower-salt chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sweet Hungarian paprika, dissolved in 2 tbsp (25 ml) water or lower-salt chicken broth
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- ½ cup (125 ml) finely chopped dill
- Sour cream, optional
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil over mediumhigh heat for 30 seconds. Add veal, in batches, and cook, stirring, adding more oil as necessary, until browned, about 5 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions to pan and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, caraway seeds and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and toss to coat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, with juice, and broth and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until veal is tender.
- Add paprika solution to slow cooker stoneware and stir well. Add red peppers and stir well. Cover and cook on High for 30 minutes, until peppers are tender. To serve, ladle into bowls and top each serving with 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the dill and a dollop of sour cream, if using.
- Make Ahead
- This dish can be partially prepared before it is cooked. Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil and complete Step 2. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 1 day. When you’re ready to cook, either brown the veal as outlined in Step 1 or add it to the stoneware without browning. Stir well and continue with Steps 3 and 4.
Works in slow cookers from 3½ to 6 quarts
Texas style Braised Veal Cubes
Author: Chef Alain Fortier for Quebec Milk fed Veal
Recipe type: Main
- 1 lb Veal cubes 500 g
- 1 cup veal stock or poultry broth 250 ml
- 14 oz crushed Italian tomatoes 400 ml
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed chili pepper 5 ml
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups canned red kidney beans 500 ml
- - method one - crock pot ( slow cooker)
- Mix all the ingredients in the slow cooker pot, except the canned kidney beans which should be added 30 minutes before cooking is completed.
- Cook at high temperature for 7 - 8 hours.
- - method two - oven
- Preheat the oven to 225°F (110°C).
- In an ovenproof dish, ideally in enameled cast iron, mix all the ingredients except the canned kidney beans which should be added 15 minutes before cooking is completed.
- Cover and cook for about 3 hours.
- = pressure cooker
- Mix all the ingredients in the pressure cooker except the canned kidney beans which should be added 15 minutes before cooking is completed.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for 30 minutes.
- Release the pressure and open the pressure cooker.
- Add the kidney beans and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- : Serve with tortillas and a green salad.