Rolled Veal Roast
Author: Rich and Famous Cookbook
Recipe type: Main
- 1 small Veal breast (about 2 lbs or 1kg)
- ½ lb assorted wild mushrooms 250g
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter 60ml
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice 15-30ml (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley 30ml
- ½ lb country pate, 250g Cut into ½ inch strips lengthwise (1.2cm strips)
- ¼-½ cup Dijon mustardBelieved to stimulate the sexual glands and increase desire. Prepare a tenderloin roast (filet mignon) for two with a mustard and peppercorn sauce. 60 to 125ml
- 1 cup red wine, CalvadosCalvados is an apple brandy from the French région of Basse-Normandie or Lower Normandy. , or cognac 250ml
- 1 cup Chicken or Veal stock 250ml
- 8-12 small new potatoes ( 2 lbs) (1kg)
- 8-12 small white boiling onions ( 2 lbs) (1kg)
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF (232ºC).
- Trim, clean and chop the mushrooms finely.
- In a small sauté pan over high heat, melt 2 tablespoons (30ml) of the butter.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- On a large work surface, lay the veal flat.
- Sprinkle with the lemon juice, parsley, and mushrooms.
- Arrange the strips of pate down the center.
- Fold the sides of the meat over to cover the stuffing completely.
- Tie securely with kitchen string in 4 or 5 places.
- Brush with the mustardBelieved to stimulate the sexual glands and increase desire. Prepare a tenderloin roast (filet mignon) for two with a mustard and peppercorn sauce. to taste.
- In a roasting pan set over moderately high heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons (30ml) of the butter.
- Add the roast and sauté on all sides, turning frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully pour in the wine, CalvadosCalvados is an apple brandy from the French région of Basse-Normandie or Lower Normandy. , or cognac and the chicken or veal stock.
- Increase the heat to high and boil vigorously until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and the onions, stirring to coat.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven.
- Immediately decrease the temperature to 350ºF (177ºC).
- Cook, uncovered, until the roast is done but rare, about 30 minutes; do not overcook.
- Let stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve on a platter surrounded by the potatoes and the onions.
(Visited 98 times, 1 visits today)